Pages

Tuesday 8 November 2011

What's romantic to you?


So coming back home after our enthralling escapade at my friend's  house, I lay my eyes upon a big red dictionary in front of my computer screen. It's surprising because God knows how long it's been since I've seen that book. 5 years? 6 years? 7? So I inch closer and closer and I carefully place my hand over a random(or perhaps not so random) page to which the book was already open.

A gust of excitement rushes through my veins as if the mere touch sent electrifying sensations throughout my body. What a grandiose feeling I say to myself. I need to know why it is so.

Ok, I was exaggerating there. Too much coffee? I think so.

But in all honesty, I was taken aback because let me tell you, this book was not seen for so long I thought it was gone by now. Apparently, it was sitting there because my father  just doesn't believe in using an online dictionary. What a fool, I say.

Anyway, yesterday (or today at midnight), I was just browsing through the pages and I land on this particular 'word'.

Leander. Now, what kind of word is that, you may ask yourself. Well I posed myself the same question and here's what I got.


Le•an•der [li'ændƏr] nGreek legend. a lover who swam the Hellespont to visit his sweetheart, Hero, every night until he finally drowned. See also HERO.


and so I proceeded to also see HERO.


He•ro ['hirou] nGreek mythology. a priestess of Aphrodite, whose lover Leander swam the Hellespont every night to visit her. One night he drowned, and on learning of his death, Hero killed herself.

And there I was mouth agape, asking myself if this was legit. Is this romance for you? Is this, in the slightest, romantic, to you? If you ask me, my answer would be a flat no. I think it's stupid. I think it's damn stupid. And crazy. And creepy.

This love seemed more like an obsession and it's something I would not want to experience. Ever.

You want to email me? You want to text me? Call me? See me?

Fine. Just as long as you don't swim a body of water and drown while doing so.

That's where I draw the line thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment